Category Archives: Media
With the 10th anniversary of The Arizona Conservative — the first and oldest conservative publication in the Grand Canyon State — approaching November 1st, we’re re-running some of our most popular posts. Here’s another one you’ll enjoy!
October 11, 2009
Mainstream people across Arizona have had enough of the Left-Wing GroupThink Media. This Saturday, Oct. 17, they’re doing a Tea Party at the Arizona Republic and ABC Channel 15 in Phoenix to demonstrate against biased, agenda-driven media that does not resonate with mainstream citizens.
You can get the details here: Operation: Can You Hear US Now? – Media Protest [link no longer works]
We don’t have to wait until Saturday morning to start the dialogue with these out of touch media people. We can start the drumbeat right now with on-point messaging, like the following:
Media in Persistent
on Abortion Reporting
Pink Slip for Left-
the Real Stories
A Little Less
Fluff, A Little
Arizonans/Americans are clever and resourceful, and The Arizona Conservative looks forward with great anticipation to the clever signs at Saturday’s demonstrations.
Don’t expect any real or accurate reporting on these events from the tired, entrenched leftist media establishment. That will come from the new media, the blogs and websites of everyday, mainstream Arizonans.
We started skipping merrily down the hill in the 1960s with The Dating Game. Witty one-liners and mini-skirts indicated there was more at play here than marriage and the baby carriage. Clever come-on lines led to the hopes of one-night stands and short-term exhilaration. So it was not surprising that the late basketball great Wilt Chamberlain – who claimed to have had sexual relations with 20,000 women – was one of the guest datees.
In the Seventies and Eighties came jiggle TV, along with Love American Style, the Love Boat (“exciting and new”), and Hotel. Adult happiness and sexual adventure were the themes. These programs were not always about being the right person and finding the right person to settle down with for nesting and family life.
Next came a temporary turn in the opposite direction with Chuck Woolery and Love Connection in the late Eighties. Chuck kept it clean and relationship oriented. The message was about finding the love of your life and making a long-term commitment.
Fast forwarding to today, we arrive at a new cultural low with Jerry Springer hosting “Baggage.” This is one small plunge for Springer and his guests, a giant cultural leap over the ledge headlong into the moral abyss for mankind. This is what cultural rot looks like in the 21st century.
The object of this seedy game is not to pick the best potential date, but to eliminate the two worst. Ladies and gentlemen of the cultural jury, I give you:
- A woman whose baggage, among others, includes a passion for sex in public. Who knows how many partners … and diseases … she’s had? And so much for private, intimate moments at home.
- A woman who shares her toilet with a cat. TMI! Springer said he prefers to share a litter box with his cat.
- A man who is a member of an orgy club in Portland, and who “hates marriage and children.” In a time of greater modesty, this kind of thing would be kept secret. Now it’s a “bragging point” for the whole nation to know. And not a real good thing to normalize for children.
- A woman who describes herself as a “seasonal bisexual.” Spring, fall, winter, or summer? Or all of the above?
- A man who got fired for having sex on the boss’s desk. Yikes!
Get this. Springer told the left-winging Huffington Post that “Baggage” is a “family-friendly show.” Who knew! “Ward, would you please call Wally and Beaver down? Baggage is on the tube!”
So how much further can we as a culture sink? We’re not at the bottom yet, but we’re in a freefall and well on our way down.
An Open Letter to the Biased News Media:
This election year, so much of the broadcast networks, their cable counterparts, and the major establishment print media are out of control with a deliberate and unmistakable leftist agenda. To put it bluntly: you are rigging this election and taking sides in order to pre-determine the outcome. In the quarter century since the Media Research Center was established to document liberal media bias, there has never been a more brazen and complete attempt by the liberal so-called “news” media to decide the outcome of an election.
A free and balanced media are crucial to the health of this country. It is your duty as journalists – as outlined in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics – to “distinguish between advocacy and news reporting,” while simultaneously “seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues.”
There is a reason why the media are viewed with such disdain by the American public, as evidenced by every recent poll on the issue.
You have breached the public trust by willfully turning a blind eye to the government’s public policy failures, both domestic and foreign, while openly and shamefully smearing Gov. Mitt Romney. You are:
• Painting conservative ideas as extreme, while refusing to report the disastrous consequences of liberal programs enacted since 2008.
• Submerging the truly horrendous economic conditions America is facing and focusing only on minor political issues.
• Characterizing conservatives as cruel budget “slashers” instead of responsible officials trying to avoid a debt catastrophe.
• Focusing on alleged shortcomings in Romney’s business record instead of Obama’s record as the chief executive, whose policies contributed to a failed economy.
• Deliberately covering up embarrassing government failures and scandals, including the Solyndra debacle, Fast & Furious, and national security leaks which have put American lives in jeopardy.
• Pouncing on real and perceived missteps by conservatives, portraying them as bumbling incompetents, while suppressing embarrassing and incendiary remarks made by Vice President Joe Biden to prevent him from becoming a liability.
• Portraying conservative opposition to tax hikes as an impediment to deficit reduction while failing to highlight how liberal tax increase policies will cause massive damage to the economy and cause the deficit to explode.
• “Fact-checking” conservatives in order to discredit their arguments while regularly refusing to “fact-check” liberals who are distorting the truth.
We the undersigned – representing millions of Americans from our respective organizations – are now publicly urging our members to seek out alternative sources of political news in order to make an intelligent, well-informed decision on November 6.
It is time the American people turn you who are offending off, once and for all. You have betrayed their trust.
L. Brent Bozell, III, President, Media Research Center
Co-Signed: Gary Bauer President Campaign for American Values
Kenneth Blackwell Hon.J. Kenneth Blackwell Former, U.S. ambassador U.N. Human Rights Commission
Morton Blackwell, Chairman The Weyrich Lunch
David Bozell Executive Director For America
Brian Brown President National Organization for Marriage
Al Cardenas Chairman American Conservative Union
Colin Hanna President Let Freedom Ring
Laura Ingraham National Radio Host
Matt Kibbe President and CEO FreedomWorks
Amy Kremer Chairman Tea Party Express
Curt Levey Committee for Justice
Mark Levin Author and National Radio Host
Rush Limbaugh National Radio Host
Jenny Beth Martin Co-Founder Tea Party Patriots
Ed Meese III Ronald Reagan Distinguished Fellow in Public Policy, Chairman of the Center for Legal and Judicial Studies Heritage Foundation
Mike Needham Chief Executive Officer Heritage Action
Karl Otteson U. S. Federation of Small Businesses Inc
William Pascoe Executive Vice President Citizens for the Republic
Tony Perkins President Family Research Council
Alfred S. Regnery Paul Revere Project
Mathew D. Staver Founder and Chairman Liberty Counsel
Richard Viguerie Chairman Conservative HQ.com
Lars Larson National Radio Host
Rusty Humphries National Radio Host
The Honorable Loui Gohmert Congressman Texas-01
The Honorable Trent Franks Congressman Arizona-02