Candidates on the issues:
|Martha McSally, Republican||Mark Kelly, Democrat|
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Congressional District 1
Congressional District 2
· Pledges never to raise taxes and signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge
· Pledges to never vote for infringement of the Second Amendment.
· Pledges to fight diligently to end abortion and protect the sanctity of life.
· Pledges to place a sunset clause on all unconstitutional departments and programs to expire after a period of 5-10 years and not renew them.
· Pledges to work to abolish the 16th and 17th Amendments.
· Pledges to end all unconstitutional wars and conflicts and stop nation-building around the world.
· Pledges to audit the FED.
· Pledges to reduce wasteful government spending.
· Favors building a wall to protect the U.S. border.
· Seeks 2-percent government spending with the exception of social security.
· Return western states’ land to state-managed control.
· Supports the construction of a border fence.
· Supports increased funding for our Border Patrol in order to increase the number of agents, provide them pay increases, and give them the means to get better, and upgraded equipment and technology
· Supports the use of any and all methods to STOP the flow of caravans of people entering this country illegally.
· Supports repeal of Obamacare
· Supports private options to Medicare
· Favors tax credits for major medical bills
· Favors laws to prevent medical price gouging and tax deductions for expensive drugs
· Favors increased subsidization to academic institutions for innovative research
· Favors permanent middle-class tax cuts
· Supports the Second Amendment
· The sanctity of human life is the most fundamental right
· Job creation, motivation of economic activity and prioritizing actionable spending that helps average people will be the single biggest priority for our country over the next few years.
· Our law enforcement officers are good, honorable men & women. I support the work of those who protect us and believe we must focus our efforts on changing policies rather than slandering good people. Insightful, decisive leadership is necessary to embrace any necessary changes and to keep our community and officers safe.
· The right to assemble is paramount and must always be protected. And yet, when those protests become pretexts to kill, maim, and destroy property, something must be said. The same rights that allow us to speak also allow our citizens to have the expectation of protection from senseless harm.
· Change the Tone in Washington, Reduce Bitter Partisanship
· Coyotes, drug smuggling and human trafficking are real problems. Unfortunately, many of these issues are due to a lack of enforcement of existing immigration laws. Instead, many elected officials have tried to use illegal immigration to push political agendas and create social division. The truth is a majority of Southern Arizona citizens are pro legal immigration and truly love our Mexican heritage and culture. We simply want new immigrants to be subject to the same standards of law-abiding citizens to pay taxes, accept American laws and traditions. I disagree when communities create Sanctuary Cities, ignore criminal activity and leverage a humanitarian crisis for political gain. I believe we need to enforce current immigration laws, devise a plan to address the 11 million-plus illegals in the country, and support Trump’s current enforcement strategies including a border wall. Real solutions will require both parties to work together.
· The message is simple: Big Walls, Big Gates to promote commerce and reduce negative activity, while encouraging lawful behavior
· I will do my part to give back to the service men and women who serve our community
· I am a constitutional conservative with some libertarian leanings. I believe in individual liberties and will tend to avoid foreign interventions. I am pro-life, believe strongly in the second amendment, and champion smaller effective government.
Congressional District 3
|Daniel Wood, Republican||Raul Grijalva, Democrat|
|· Favors: The continued building of the border wall and increased funding for more border patrol agents, upgraded equipment, and funding for local law enforcement agencies along the border.
· Reform of our asylum laws, noting any illegal immigrant who comes into our country other than at a port of entry will be immediately returned to their country of origin. No trial or waiting period.
· Creating more judges to speed up the asylum hearings. Over 800,000 cases in backlog.
· End the lottery system and chain migration.
· Enforcement of E-Verify laws. Companies and corporations who are willfully hiring illegal aliens need to be held accountable.
· Reform of the Visa programs H-2A and H-2B.
· The immediate return of incarcerated illegals who have committed criminal offenses to their country of origin. We should not have to pay for non-citizens in our penitentiary systems.
· Pulling back government regulations on doctors and insurance companies will begin the process to improve the quality and efficiency of the healthcare system. In return it will bring healthy competition through innovation.
· As a representative for CD3, I will work hard to cut government regulations and move healthcare to a free-market system. Repealing Obamacare must happen first!
|· The House Ethics Committee examined allegations that Rep. Raúl Grijalva created a hostile workplace. The ethics probe comes four years after the Natural Resources Committee shelled out more than $48,000 to settle a complaint by a former female staffer over a hostile work environment linked to Grijalva’s alcohol use.
· The ethics probe comes four years after the Natural Resources Committee shelled out more than $48,000 to settle a complaint by a former female staffer over a hostile work environment linked to Grijalva’s alcohol use.